Monday, December 8, 2008

Sharing Christmas Traditions

Whatever else be lost among the years, Let us keep Christmas still a shining thing: Whatever doubts assail us, or what fears, Let us hold close one day, remembering its poignant meaning for the hearts of men. Let us get back our childlike faith again. ~Grace Noll Crowell

Today I have some more neat traditions from our readers. I love hearing about how others celebrate the season!

A Wish List Tradition
Every Christmas as our boys, now 23 and 19, were growing up they would write out their "wish list" for Santa. Once the list was finalized we would pick an evening about a week before Christmas, have a fire in the fireplace, and each boy would get to burn their list. You see, as the list burns it goes up in smoke to the North Pole, so they could be certain Santa would get their requests in plenty of time before December 24th! We live about a half hour from San Francisco. Another family favorite is to make our holiday visit to the city. We usually ride rapid transit or the ferry, window shop, and when they were younger visit Santa at Macy's, then have lunch. The hustle and the bustle of the city all decked out makes for a special day. ~Vanessa

Nadine's Special Traditions
The kids in my family are all too old for this (until the next
generation!) But one year on Christmas Eve after all were tucked in, I took my honey's old work boots and patted them in the fireplace ashes and then made boot tracks from the fireplace to the Christmas Tree. The next day when the kids woke up I said,"Would you just look at that- I told that Santa to wipe his boots before coming in - Now just look at this mess I have to clean up." the kids love it and it "proves" Santa is real and that I know him! I've also put a piece of nice leather with bells and printed "Prancer" on the underside and left it in the yard for the kids to find Christmas day. I tell them I'll give it back to Santa next time I see him.

Oooh and just one more - very carefully open walnuts, take out the meat and replace with a folded dollar bill. Glue the nut back together and wrap with a length of ribbon leaving enough to hang from a tree branch. Each kid who comes to visit gets to pick one as an extra surprise! I LOVE Christmas! ~Nadine

On OFL: "Shop" in your backyard for holiday trimmings!
http://www.oldfashionedliving.com/holidays/trimmings.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!