Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Reader's Questions: A Hodge Podge

It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade. ~Charles Dickens

I have recently come across the German tradition of those twelve christmas ornaments every newlywed should have for a happy marriage. I am looking to see if there is a company that will make all twelve in a set, in its own storage box. I read your article, and if anyone should know, I feel it would be you. Hope you can help. ~Christine

There were several listed online, including Amazon, but the nicest seemed to the Inge-Glas of Germany Bride's Tree Assortment Christmas Ornament. I'm sure you could find this online easily by putting it into Google or another search engine. I also found out Hallmark made a set called: A Happy Life Ornament Collection, which is a set of 12 miniature ornaments. I'd visit a Hallmark store and ask about it, or try finding it on ebay. I hope this helps!

I have an oak tree growing in my backyard that about 50 something old. It's still growing. I can't afford to have it cut down. But I feel like it is a danger to my home and the neighbors. Especially during Hurrican season. Do you know if there are any tree angencies or organizations that try and save trees by cutting some of the limbs for safety sake. ~Elayne

The first thing that comes to mind is checking with your state extension office. Mississippi has a great website (http://msucares.com/ ) with information and contacts you can call if you don't see what you are looking for. The second thing I thought of is putting an ad in your local paper. With the economy the way it is now, someone may be willing to cut the tree down for you in exchange for the wood. It's worth a try putting in a small text ad in the classified section, and placing a couple of notes on boards in the grocery store, laundermat etc.

Can you tell me if anyone has heard of female cardinals flying into windows. My daughter has this problems it is a constant thing. ~Catherine S.

It's a common problem with many type of birds. The site for the University of Minnesota Raptor Center says:

"...it is likely that the cardinal sees his reflection and is defending his territory against the handsome male cardinal reflection that he sees. The solution in this case need only be temporary and should be in place for a matter of weeks or until the breeding season is over.

Hanging a window feeder on your window will actually decrease collisions, but having bird feeders a few feet from your window will increase collisions. The reason for this is that a feeder placed within five to ten feet of a window allows birds sufficient time to reach a flight speed at which they could kill themselves should they hit the window. It's best to place feeders within two feet of the window or 15 to 35 feet from the house."

There are other things you can do such as:
Put the screens in your windows to make them less reflective. (which is how our windows are and we have not had this problem except once when the sliding door screen wasn't in place.)

I haven't had to do this since our screens work so well,but spraying fake snow (the type in a can) on your windows will break the reflection as well. You can also buy special silhouettes of flying hawks and other decals that will take care of the problem.

On OFL we have tips on cleaning the outside of your house:http://www.oldfashionedliving.com/siding.html

1 comment:

  1. I love that tradition of 12 Christmas ornaments newlyweds should have. This is the first time I'd heard of it.

    Ali @ A Cosy Life

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!