Sunday, October 7, 2012

Soups to Warm Up Cold Days


The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.

The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.
~Emily Dickinson

Saturday we spent the day at our small town's fall festival.  We ate bake sale cookies and hot chocolate, watched the parade and the lumberjacks playing with logs:) It was a lovely day.  

Fall always makes me want to bake, but I also love getting out my favorite soup recipes, which are perfect for warming up on a cold, blustery day.  I wrote an article after I was looking through one of my old cookbooks for soup ideas. I ran across a section in one of them with tips on seasoning soups with herb vinegars, herb bouquets and more.  My herbs are doing wonderfully now that we're past that dry period we experienced this summer, and I've been harvesting them quite heavily before the cold weather sets in.  I think you'll enjoy the tips on  making your own herb vinegar.


You'll find the article here: http://oldfashionedliving.com/Old-Fashioned-Soup-Flavorings.html

I hope you all have a wonderful week,
~Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!