Saturday, September 10, 2011

We Remember September 11, 2001

Sunday marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in New York City, Washington, DC, and Shanksville, PA. I remember that morning clearly, like so many of you do. My family and I were fortunate to be safe in Michigan, only having to watch the horror of the day on television, not in person. I can't imagine how those living and working in all three locations must have felt as events unfolded.

Two years ago my husband and I, along with our three children, visited Shanksville, Pennsylvania. We saw the site before the cement walls were built, and though it was simple and what some would call "plain", I was moved by the things left by those who visited the memorial. I wanted to share some of the pictures I took that day. The last one is of my daughter who didn't want to leave until she created her own message after my husband and I spent time trying to explain what happened that day in terms a child could understand. It was truly an emotional experience that meant a lot to all of us.












9/11 TENTH ANNIVERSARY EVENTS
By Presidential proclamation, Americans are called on to participate in a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time on September 11, 2011. Flags should also be displayed at half-staff in honor of the individuals who lost their lives.

9/11 memorials and commemorations:
New York – The 9/11 Memorial dedication will be held September 11, 2011.

Washington, DC – The Pentagon Memorial is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to allow the public to reflect on those who died there.

Shanksville, Pennsylvania – The National Park Service will dedicate the Flight 93 National Memorial and host a 10th anniversary commemoration.

You can find out more information on all of the events at http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/History_American/September11.shtml

~Brenda


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!