Friday, March 4, 2011

Chili Cook Off Recipe & More

Friday my husband took a crockpot full of my chili in for a Chili Cook Off at the hospital he works at, and I won 2nd place. He's been telling me for years that he loves my chili more than any he's had, including restaurants. I always chalk it up to him trying to butter me up:) I thought I'd share my recipe, even though it is VERY simple, which is why I'm always surprised when everyone likes it so much.

Brenda's Chili

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
1 envelope taco seasoning
1/4 cup smooth taco sauce (I used Taco Bell brand)
4 15 ounce cans of chili beans in sauce (no meat)
1 can black beans
1 can traditional refried beans
1 1/2 cups water

Brown and drain the ground chuck, then add the taco seasoning, following directions on the packet. This can be done the night before, then refrigerated until ready to make the chili. Place the beef in the crock pot, add the cans of beans, taco sauce, and the refried beans and water. Mix it all together well, and cover. Cook on high for several hours, or longer on low. Stir occasionally.

Notes: I serve this with tortilla chips, and shredded cheese. This almost fills up a regular sized crock pot.

READER'S QUESTION
Would you happen to know how to make caramel out of condensed milk, Eagle brand type? As I recall it is baked in the over? Just popped into my wondering mind. ~foreverautumn

Sure! I had been asked this a couple years ago, so I saved the method:)

For safety reasons, heating the unopened can (old cooking method) is NOT recommended. Instead use one of the following methods.

Oven Method: Pour 1 can sweetened condensed milk into a 9 inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in larger shallow pan. Fill larger pan with hot water. Bake at 425ยบ for 1 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel colored.

Stovetop Method: Pour 1 can sweetened condensed milk into top of double boiler; place over boiling water. Over low heat,simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel colored. Beat until smooth.

READER'S TIP
When my daughter had blood on a white shirt, an ER nurse told me to pour Hydrogen Peroxide on the blood stain. Let it sit for a few minutes and wash. ~Kristi

~Brenda

1 comment:

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!