Thursday, July 29, 2010

Vintage Household Tips

Home ought to be our clearinghouse, the place from which we go forth lessoned and disciplined, and ready for life. ~Kathleen Norris

For my birthday in June my dad gave me a very neat vintage binder that has imprinted on the front Home Makers' Handbook , Women's Service Bureau, The Detroit Free Press. It's full of printed pages with recipes and tips on cooking, entertaining and household tips. I couldn't find a date but the phone number to call is Randolph 8900, which is way before my time:)

I thought today I'd share some of the household tips from the binder. I try to only share the tips that don't use chemicals or things we've since discovered were not good for us.

To Clean Candles: A cloth dampened with alcohol will clean dusty candles without taking off the luster.

Grease Spots on Wood: to treat grease spots on unpainted wood, moisten with a paste of cold water and baking soda before scrubbing clean.

Washing a Clotheslinee: Wind the line around a long board and scrub the line with a brush. This prevents it from becoming tangled and makes it easy to wind when dry.

Cork Flower Holders: If there aren't quite enough flowers to fill a vase without looking straggly, put a few corks in the water. They have a tendency to hold up the flowers and keep them in place.

Tea Stains: To remove tea stains from china , rub spots with salt and baking soda.

We have more tips at OFL on cleaning vintage fabric.

2 comments:

  1. That is a great non toxic tip for cleaning the tea stains. Thanks a great piece of history

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda Jean,

    I happened upon your blog while in search of information about the Home Makers' Handbook , Women's Service Bureau, The Detroit Free Press. What a wonderful gift! I have partial contents of the book in a red binder:)

    Oh goodness, what a lovely blog you have. I'm in the middle of preparing a post at the moment, but I will return!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Louise.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!