Sunday, November 8, 2009

Readers Questions: Rose Water and More

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

It's sunny and warm here in Michigan. I need to get out and do some last minute landscape chores, but first I wanted to post these questions and answers I'd been working on. Thanks for sending them in!

Can you give me ideas for using Rose Water? A friend sent me a 4 oz. bottle, product of Lebanon, but I don't know what to do with it. Thank you, and love your e-letter- Sharon S.

Rose water can be used as a flavoring, much like vanilla. BUT, since I don't know if yours is safe for consumption I'm going to share the non-edible tidbits. If your friends knows, or if it states on the bottle that it's safe for ingesting you can use it in drinks and recipes.

Rose water is excellent for your skin too. It's a natural make-up remover, used with a cotton ball to gently wipe away make-up. It's also a natural refresher for your skin or a cleanser. To use it as a cleanser, place 1/2 cup in a bottle, then add 1 tsp. of glycerin, which can usually be found at a pharmacy or health food store. Use this mixture as a cleanser. You can also add a little witch hazel to the rose water and use it as a toner. Apply with a cotton ball, then rinse gently. Lastly, you can use it with your lotion. Place a little lotion in your hand, then add a tiny bit of rose water. Apply this to your skin as you normally would. Your friend gave you a lovely, old fashioned gift.

I have a bowl/vase made of semi-vertious porcelain. Made in the late 1800's. The number on the bottom is 34. Can you tell me anything about the porcelain from that time and the value. ~Donna

I've gotten many emails in the past asking about the value of a collectible or antique. Unfortunately, this is something that requires an expertise that I don't have. I love owning and admiring collectibles to be sure (especially tea sets!), but I don't have the foggiest notion of value. I did some looking and I think the About.com section on collectibles is a really good place for you start your research. They have articles and links that are very helpful. You can visit it here: http://collectibles.about.com/od/priceguidesonline/u/PriceGuidesAZ.htm

I have bought several different colored bath towels and they always seem to loose color immediately, why? It's splotchy where they loose color, the last set the kids grabbed before they were laundered and they lost color too, I don't know what I am doing wrong. Thanks! ~Maryann

This could be several things. First, be sure no one in the family is using something that would cause the dye to wash out, such as an acne cleanser or a strong facial wash. If they are, try using white hand towels when they are drying their face. Sometimes if you are using a powder detergent it can clump and cause blotches on towels. Make sure you dissolve the powder as the washer starts to fill, then add the towels. Lastly, if the towels you buy aren't made in the US, they might have a lesser quality of dyes used in the fabric. Other countries don't always have the quality standards that we do. In the future you could try buying towels made in the US.

If you try all of these things and they still blotch, the only thing left is to buy light colored towels. At least it wouldn't be as noticeable.

A few years ago we tackled towel care on Old Fashioned Living. It was amazing the tips that came in from readers! I ended up putting them on a page so everyone could view them. You can read the tips here: http://oldfashionedliving.com/towels.html

~Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!