Monday, June 15, 2009

Garden Tidbits: Simple May Be Better

The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it. ~Arnold H. Glasgow

Today I wanted to share some thoughts that have been running through my head lately. When I lived in the city I grew herbs, flowers and vegetables in raised beds and did a lot more than I thought possible with limited space. We moved the the country and I tried to go too BIG, too FAST. The result was discouragement on my part and I ended up having to move plants around. This year I finally decided that with our busy schedule I needed one raised bed to grow just what I really wanted to. My husband and I put together a 10 foot by 4 foot bed out of pine. Simple. I planted 8 tomato plants, then I sowed seeds for beans and cucumbers in front of a wire trellis, and filled in the rest of the space with basil, dill and nasturtiums. It's right beside our garage in full sun. It's easy to water, weed and then harvest. I'll share pictures later after it fills in. It took me years to figure out that I was trying to do TOO much. So, if you are feeling overwhelmed try scaling back what you grow, and think smaller. It may be this will be better for you too.

A note on watering...it's better for the plants and lawn to water less often but deeply when you do. Some of you may not even need to water extra as you are getting too much rain. If you have drought conditions use thick mulch and water when you can.

Remember, many plants and flowers don't respond well to sprinklers--it can even cause rot and mildew. As a general rule it's better to water well in the morning, and not in the evening. Container plants may need two or even three waterings for hanging plants if it's extremely
hot and/or windy.

For tips on growing and using oregano go here:
http://oldfashionedliving.com/oregano.html

~Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!