Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thrifty Thursday: Making Meatballs Less Tedious


My husband loves Spaghetti and Meatballs, in fact it's his favorite meal. I hate making it. Putting the meat mixture together is ok, but rolling all those meatballs! Ugh. 

Well, I've changed the way I make my meatballs now and I'm so much happier. No more rolling forever. You see, I normally make a batch big enough for 3-4 meals, hence why so much rolling. However, what I've started doing recently is making the meat mixture and then placing the meat into four separate zipper sandwich bags. I freeze them flat and can then stand them up or stack them flat in the freezer.

When I'm ready to have meatballs for dinner, I thaw out a sandwich bag, cut the bag away from the meat, leaving the meat in a flat square, then cut the meat mixture into 16 equal squares. Roll each square and voila! Meatballs without all the hassle. :)

If you would like to try my recipe for meatballs, you can visit Amanda's Cookin', my recipe blog.

So what makes today's post so thrifty? Anytime you create a short cut for yourself or find something that saves you time, you are also saving money.

Be sure to stop by Thrifty Thursdays to see what others have shared!



Enjoy!

~ Amanda

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see someone else likes freezing Ground Beef the same as I do. Also, thanks for sharing your Meatball recipe. You must have had the same little Italian lady in Brooklyn teach you how to make them too. I'm enjoying your blog.

    Joyce in NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tip! I'm going to do this the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use a ice cream scoop to make meatballs. Scoop up the meat mixture, place it on a foil lined cookie sheet, bake and presto! Meatballs without a lot of fuss.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!