Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thrifty Thursday: Freecycling

If you haven't heard of Freecycle, then you really are missing out on a great opportunity to not only rid your home of things you don't want anymore, you are also missing out on lots of freebies! Freecycle is (quoted from their website):


"It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free."

Since moving back to Wisconsin, I don't use Freecycle as often as I did in Vegas. Lately though I've been thinking about getting back in the groove as spring cleaning time is upon me and I will need someone to give away things to. Yes, you can simply donate to Goodwill or Salvation Army, but Freecycle gives you a real sense of giving back. It makes you feel as if you really, truly helped someone. 

Fair warning: There are some on Freecycle that don't necessarily want the item they request, but rather take as much as they can to sell on eBay or at a yard sale. Some freecycle members get upset at this prospect. My thoughts? I don't mind really. If it helps someone to support their family, then so be it. I don't need it anymore, so if they can put it to use, wonderful!

I have not only gotten rid of many things I no longer have a use for, but I have received quite a few things in return! I still use the camping table that a kind woman in Boulder City, NV gave to me several years ago. It's a great way to make new friends as well. 

There are general rules & guidelines, and each group may have their own rules as well, so just be sure to follow them and you should have an enjoyable experience. To find a Freecycle group in your area, go to Freecycle.org and either enter your city and state in the search box or click on the Browse Groups button at the top.

Freecycle is a great way to keep things out of landfills, help others who need it, rid your home of stuff you don't use anymore, and get something free yourself!

This post is participating in Thrifty Thursday. To read other frugal ideas, click the Thrifty Thursday link!

~ Amanda

4 comments:

  1. Nicki SmithApril 30, 2009

    Just to let you know that Freecycling is just as big here in the UK. I have 'Offered' and 'Taken' many items over the past year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have never heard of this. But I am going to check it out! I live in a small town now so there probably isn't a group here, but hope to be back in LA in the not too distant future.

    Sorry to all, I have been overwhelmed with tasks and chores this week (among other things, I got a computer virus that caused me to lose EVERYTHING) and haven't found time to do a Thrifty Thursday post this week, so next week will be my week 10. I can't believe we've already been doing this 10 weeks. Thanks to Amanda for organizing it. It has been fun and very informative.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, love your blog, I hope you dont mind but I've added your blog onto my blogroll on my site.
    I am hosting a swap on my site at the moment, please feel free to pop over and take a look, and to join the swap if you wish.
    Take Care
    Love Melanie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love freecycle, I have got some great things from there. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!