Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hodge Podge Day: Questions & Answers

The hours I spend with you I look upon as sort of a perfumed garden, a dim twilight, and a fountain singing to it. You and you alone make me feel that I am alive. ~George Moore

Special Note: We will be starting an Old Fashioned Living newsletter with updates on the website. To sign up you can go to OFL, or sign up at the blog: here.

Today I have questions and answers on several different topics.

Any idea on getting soot off a rock fireplace? ~Rhonda

There are a few things you can try. Scrub the surface where the soot is with non-diluted white vinegar. This may take 2-3 times. You can also try mixing a solution of 50/50 bleach and water in a spray bottle. Spray the surface and scrub with a cleaning brush. Rinse with water.

How do I clean my African Violet leaves? ~Eileen

There are several things you can try. Buy a small paint brush that has soft bristles and brush the leaves. If they are really dusty you can rinse them off. The key is not letting them dry in the sun. It's the sun shining on the wet leaves that causes spotting.

I had a homemade recipe for Biore strips that I thought I had saved but I can't seem to find it. Can you please help me? ~Sylvie

I have very dry, sensitive skin, so I've never used the strips that Sylvie is talking about, but I did some research and found a few things that will accomplish the same thing as the strips.

Gelatin Mask: Mix 1 Tbsp.of Knox unflavored gelatin and 1 1/2 Tbsp. milk. Microwave for 10 seconds and apply to the oily areas of your face. Allow it to dry for 30 minutes. During this time it will become VERY stiff. Peel it off carefully and rinse with warm water. Gently pat your face dry.

Milk of Magnesia Mask: Deep Cleaning Mask: Use a cotton ball to coat your face with the milk of magnesia. Avoid your eye area, which is more sensitive. Leave this on for 10 minutes. Use a warm washcloth to remove the mask. Gently pat your face dry.

Chamomile Mask

You'll need:
1 package unflavored gelatin
2 bags chamomile tea or 1 tablespoon loose dried chamomile
1/2 cup boiling water

In a small glass or ceramic bowl add the boiling water to the herbs or tea bags. Steep for 5 minutes. Add the gelatin and stir until it's dissolved. Allow to cool---it's okay if it's thickens, but it shouldn't set completely. Smooth the mixture on your face and allow it to dry completely. Peel off the mask, rinse and gently pat dry.

On OFL we have tips on getting the most out of your candles:
http://www.oldfashionedliving.com/candle.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a tip, a comment or just say hi!